New York State Vehicle Inspection
When your days get full, it can be easy to overlook your annual NY state inspection for your vehicle. Your local participating Goodyear Auto Service store will help you out by giving you a convenient place to get your New York state-certified vehicle inspection.
LOCAL STORES THAT OFFER STATE VEHICLE INSPECTIONS
OUR NEW YORK STATE VEHICLE INSPECTION SERVICES
What’s Included with a New York State Vehicle Inspection?
As part of our test, a certified inspector will carefully check the following components to ensure they meet New York state safety standards:
- We’ll inspect for proper operation and anchorage
- We’ll make sure your car has the number of seat belts required for its model and year
- We’ll check your vehicle's air-bag warning lamp for proper operation.
At least one front wheel must be removed to inspect the following braking components:
- Brake pedal reserve and fade
- Power brake unit
- Brake master cylinder
- Disc brake pads
- Brake drums and/or rotors
- Wheel cylinders and/or calipers
- All brake lines and hoses
- Parking brake
- Brake equalization
Steering, front end, suspension, chassis, frame, and wheel fasteners:
- Front end assembly
- Steering wheel play
- All steering linkages
- Power steering
- Springs and torsion bars
- Wheel fasteners
Tires (excluding spares):
- Tread depth
- Tire condition
- Tire pressure
- Headlamps (low and high beam)
- Tail lamps
- Stop lamps
- Directional signals
- Backup lights (1969 and newer)
- License plate lights
- Hazard warning/four-way flasher (1966 and newer)
- Directional signal indicator
Note: All lighting must be of an approved type and inspected for operation, proper mounting, and broken or missing lenses.
Windshield and other glass:
- No crack of 11 inches long or longer
- Windshield check for presence and condition
- Window check for approved safety glass or rigid plastic and condition
Windshield wipers and blades (not including rear window or headlamp wipers):
- Wipers check for presence and operation
- Blades check for good condition
- Check mounting and operation
- Check mirror locations for proper mounting, cracks, breaks, and/or discoloration.
- We’ll make sure your car has the number and placement of mirrors required for its model and year
Note: Any vehicle that has a permanent obstruction of the view through the rear window must have both a left and a right outside mirror.
- Any fuel leak that causes dripping or pooling is not acceptable.
What Else Should I Know About Vehicle Inspections in New York State?
Vehicles are required to be inspected prior to midnight on the last day of the month punched, of the indicated year, on the current inspection certificate. Upon the casual (non-dealer) sale or transfer of a motor vehicle, any certificate of inspection issued prior to the date of the sale or transfer will be deemed invalid. Every motor vehicle and trailer must be inspected upon change of registrant.
Where Can I Get a NYS Inspection Near Me?
Select Goodyear Auto Service New York State locations offer state vehicle inspections. For more information on the inspection contact one of your local New York locations, or choose to make an appointment today.
How Often Are State Vehicle Inspections Required?
All vehicles registered in New York State must get a safety inspection and an emissions inspection every 12 months. Both inspections are also required when the ownership of a vehicle is transferred.
Why Choose a Goodyear Auto Service Location as your State Vehicle Inspection Station?
The certified technicians at your local Goodyear Auto Service understand the specific requirements that must be met to pass a NewYork State vehicle inspection, and will work closely with you to determine exactly what your vehicle needs to you know exactly what you vehicle needs to stay road-ready in the Empire State.